Molds live everywhere-on logs and on fallen leaves, and in moist places like bathrooms and kitchens. Some people are allergic to these molds. An allergy occurs when you react to things like mold or pollen (called allergens) that don't affect most people.
There are over 1,000 species of mold in the United States - many of which aren't visible to the naked eye. As tiny mold spores become airborne, they can cause allergic reactions in people who have mold allergies.
Is all mold bad? Certainly not! Consider Penicillin or Blue cheese...Mold can be good or bad, and doesn't affect everyone in the same way.
Allergens can enter your body and trigger your immune system. Your body's natural response is to release multiple inflammatory substances that cause your allergy symptoms.
Allergy symptoms can be caused by pollen, dust, pet dander and mold. It can cause uncomfortable symptoms like congestion and red, itchy eyes.
Mold can also trigger or aggravate asthma symptoms and people with suppressed immune systems are much more susceptible to fungal (mold) infections.
You can easily remove minor mold with ordinary household cleaning products. But disturbing big infestations can be bad for your health, particularly if you are an allergy sufferer or have a weakened immune system. If you discover an extensive mold problem or a potential health issue, we recommend that you contact a professional!